Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Wishful Thinking

Saturday was the last day to view the Isabel and Ruben Toledo exhibit in our school fashion museum.  I spent an hour sketching my favorite inspiration pieces.  It was relaxing and even more interesting after hearing them speak a few days earlier.  As a fashion design student here, I can't help but wish that my designs may someday be featured in the museum.

Yom Kippur meant another three day weekend.  I welcomed the extension of time and took advantage of the day by visiting a few shops.  I had quiche at Madeleine Patisserie on 23rd St.  The coffee shop is very French, from the chef and his family working in the kitchen, to the attitude of the help behind the counter!  The macarons are to die and everything is so fresh and delicious. 


www.madeleinepatisserie.com

I practiced sketching feet during my lazy breakfast.  My Life Drawing instructor suggested imitating the masters.  I used a book of human sketches and I was surprised at how much it already helped me in class on Wednesday.  I have a better feel for the shape of the foot and all the intricacies of tendons and toe joints.

My next stop was Mood to buy the fabrics I swatched for my Art project.  It is likely wishful thinking, but I would really like to make some of the pieces that I designed.  I think it would be a great way to round out my portfolio coming out of school.  I also hopped on the Subway to check out Pearl Paint on Canal Street.  The store is in a creaky old building with different departments on 8 floors (or more... I think that was the last one I climbed the stairs to reach!).  For the size of the store, I was not impressed with their selection.  I picked up a sheet of decorative paper for my art project, and used my 30% off coupon.  Not really worth the trip, but now I know that our Fashion Design Bookstore across from the store is unbeatable.  It's tiny, but they know exactly what we need for every class and they always have it on hand.

When I emerged from the subway on my way home, surprise!  Weather changes quickly here.  Note to self: always carry umbrella in purse.




 
Soggy after the trek from the subway station 

No comments:

Post a Comment