Monday, September 21, 2009

Rough Start

Monday morning - ugh.  I got a few things done before my 11:10 class but I was up late Sunday night so the combination lack of sleep and general feeling of dread for my computer design class meant I was off to a bad start.  Then I got a computer that was having problems.  It was one of those situations where the teacher comes over and fixes the issue, but as soon as she walks away - the problem is back.  I was trying to get through it anyway, but then partway through the lesson and the project I started, the computer just shut off.  I don't know whether I kicked a power cord or what.  It was enough to put me over the edge.  I moved to another computer and tried to calm down.  I already feel like I can't keep up in this class, so getting behind because of stupid technology issues was too much to handle!!  Instead of crying on my muslin like I expected at some point, I was wiping away tears in a darkened computer lab because I couldn't keep up.  I have worked on computers for 10 years in different jobs so part of my issue is feeling like this should come easier!  Photoshop is a really intense program with a lot of components though, so I need to let myself learn it over time.  My friends asked about my lunch plans not realizing I had been crying and I let them know I would be going back to my room to bawl for a bit, but I thanked them for the invitation anyway.  They were very sweet and helped calm me down, but my roommate Amanda got an earful too.  Good friends - good listeners!  I really wanted to have a glass of wine or three during lunch, but I figured I'd better not since I still had to drape a straight pair of pants in the afternoon.

Draping class was much better (love Prof. Renzulli anyway).  I was able to get back on track and back to my normal self, although I realized I really need more sleep to function mentally and emotionally right now!

2 comments:

  1. Hang in there, I know design software is so complex, until you learn it. We have InDesign and Photoshop at our office and I know basically how to move the mouse around in them, but that's about it. You'll get through it and be awesome at it in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! People I know in other majors are learning InDesign now. I don't think we get into that this year, but we'll learn about Illustrator after PhotoShop. I hope I retain the info!

    ReplyDelete